Wow, January. It’s the start of a fresh year and we’re coming off the high of holidays, family, and hopefully a restful time before diving into the new year. My wife and I just moved into our new house in Denver, and I was greeted by a leaking roof on Sunday exactly a week after we moved in (we’re renting, thankfully). I hope your year is off to a smoother start than mine!
Speaking of smooth, are you ready for the links?
Twitter Needs A Panda Update
If you’re a search marketer, you are no doubt familiar with Google’s Panda algorithm which started rolling out in February 2011. I’ll never forget that day.
You’re probably also familiar with Facebook’s changes to combat viral sites like Upworthy and their reduction of page reach. If I was cynical (which I am sometimes), I’d say this is mostly so Facebook can sell more ads but realistically I think they did it to improve the user experience, and I’d say it worked.
I think it’s high time for Twitter to have a Panda update focused on abusive/spammy users as well as automated tweets/feeds from places like MeetEdgar and Buffer. I outlined my thoughts in this post.
Enjoy the read!
Here are some of my favorite reads and listens from the last week. Enjoy!
- Seven Lessons From A Guy Who Can’t Move Anything But His Face (Unstoppable.me) – This is singlehandedly the most inspiring thing I have read in the last year. This entrepreneur can’t move anything but his face and has built multiple six figure businesses as a digital nomad. Think you have adversity that you can’t overcome? Read this.
- 10 Principles of Boostrapping from 30+ Interviews with Founders (Medium/The Foundation) – If you are bootstrapping a business or just want to learn more about what makes entrepreneurs successful and helps them build great businesses, read this from Andy at The Foundation.
- The Art of Pitching: How I Got Published In The Atlantic (UpUpGrow) – A phenomenal step-by-step around how one unknown writer learned to pitch and got articles published on some of the biggest websites online.
- How To Work Remotely With 150 People (Medium) – Working together is hard when your team is distributed. This is a very practical read on how to think about structuring work at your distributed/remote company.
- How To Delegate SEO Work Effectively (Moz) – Actually a great read on the business behind the SEO process and how things get done.
- Travelers are actually starting to hate American airports a little less (Quartz) – I don’t know about you, but I travel a LOT. Just last year I was on over 50 flights and in probably 20 different airports across seven countries. I’ve come to enjoy airports because I’ve hacked the system a bit and have my processes, but it’s good to see that other not-as-frequent travelers are also enjoying flying a bit more as well.
As always I’d love to know your thoughts on the content I’m sharing here, and if you have ideas for blog posts you’d like me to write, hit Reply and you’ll get me via email directly!
Until next time –
Interested in going to Distilled’s SearchLove conference in February in San Diego? Use this link to get $100 off any ticket.
(I’m not making any money from this. Just passing along an awesome discount!)